Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thursday 20 January 2011

Germany so far has been….



I stepped foot on my flight to Germany in the wonderful state of Texas. It was Fort Worth Texas, and for those of you Passion 2010 fans, yes… I did say a prayer for Fort Worth.


I arrived in Texas from St. Louis on a plane that was almost twenty minutes early. Was my pilot speeding in the air? This I kind of hope, because the idea of that is very funny to me. Upon my arrival in Texas I had to take the skytrain from Terminal A to Terminal D. I was expecting a lot of really expensive food I was going to have to decide on buying and this is what I did find. I scoped out my gate, bought some Asian food, and called my most loyal friend. Caught some advice from a wise woman, and moved forward to wait the 2 hours at my gate. At the gate I also decided I wanted some ice cream so I moseyed back over to the food area and ran into three other Camp Adventure Interns. No ice cream. They were eating some healthy wrap things, and I sat with them. Eventually we all wound up at the gate together, boarded the plane together, and had different seats. I sat in a row that had five seats, and only one other person in it.


On the flight I had a lot of exhausting fun. I watched The Social Network (and missed the last ten minutes because of this guy who moved into the bathroom), and Life as we know it. For those of you office fans out there, I also watched two episodes of that and an episode of House. I also slept a tad, but this random lady ended up sleeping on my extra seats, then having a long conversation with me as my eyes fell asleep on her a lot. She was very afraid of the turbulence.


In Germany we wandered a little, and waited for luggage. I will point out that I am one of two that brought the most luggage… mine wasn't very full though, so I claim to be on even playing ground. We met Sam Turner, out PC and Jeff, our dude that drove us around. We were exhausted. Mind you, at this point most of us have been up for at least 19 hours… I had been up for 19 hours…. (with the exception of maybe an hour on the plane). We drove an hour or so to base, then waited outside for our paper permission to get on base. It is now 0900 in Germany… We wait about an hour, then we take pictures for our identification that lets us on and off of base. We go to our apartment.


At the apartment, the three other girls and I live together in one apartment with FOUR rooms and two bathrooms. Sweet, I agree. Thank you God, because I was just asking to have my own room and to live in an apartment with a group of girls. It hasn't really occurred to me that both would even be an option! I am so super STOKED about that!


We had a meeting… we were all falling asleep fast. We went to an ATM and I got some Euros. Then we went to a bank and I exchanged for some Euros. Then we went off base to a german grocery store to shop for groceries. That was fun. We went home, unpacked for a while. Got on the internet. tried to sat awake to prevent horrible jet lag. It was now almost 34 hours awake. I finally went to bed.


We were up at 0700 the next morning to start training. I thought I was over the jet lag… I did not wake up until my alarm went off, but I was awake. We trained, sat, tried to stay awake. Met some people. Military people, I think are very friendly. Military families. They have to be friendly quick. They move a lot, and people are often new. It is a cutter all it's own.


More training, meetings, visas, more pictures, and being tired. I had a fun conversation with a friend from back home. I miss them…


Then today… in the nursery. My assignment was at 0615, so I was up at 0515. The CDC is right down the street, so I am very excited about that. There was a pot luck today, which was fun. There are eight babies in the room I was in, and I am hoping it becomes my permanent placement. Please!!!??? Pretty please?


I smell like spoiled milk. I was called a Cuban Latina. I got to wear slippers all day, and I found out about a trip to Paris we are likely going to go on! EXCITED. Europe, here I come.


Also, Germany… maybe I will keep up with the updates. Hopefully i am one of those people!

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    Glad you're doing well! We're praying for you back home and are so exited for all that God IS going to do through you. And you might get to work with babies??? I'm jealous!!! Now you'll have German Sofia's to play with! LOL. Talk to you later my Cuban Latina friend...

    In Christ,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so fun. Your airport/German life sounds thrilling! Maybe
    you'll be in Paris on April 11? P.S. I typed this on our iPod. Be proud that you taught me how. :)

    Love you,
    Laura Heil

    ReplyDelete