Thursday, March 24, 2011

"I just loved beating up white kids!"

"You had to; they was mean!"


One of the women who works with me is a retired black woman who was born in 1949.

She was one of the first black kids to go to her school.
She was a junior in high school when integration happened.

Today marked the day when she told me about this part of her life.

It is amazing the kinds of things she went through.

Today felt like a gifting of what I felt I was missing by not having grandparents close to me.

She is a wonderful lady.

Times sure have changed, she would say, but it was nice seeing the world through the eyes of someone who has lived so much history.

Love her.
definitely going to miss her.

(Side note. I am pretty sure she doesn't still condone beating up white kids, but in those times, she says, you had to do what you could at night to make up for what you put up with during the day.)


No comments:

Post a Comment