Monday, March 14, 2011

Dachau

"Work will set you free"


The one thing I wanted to do while I was in Germany was to visit a concentration camp. This day was going to be the highlight of my entire semester, travel wise.

The day started at the Munich train station. We had to take an S2 train to Dachau. The city of Dachau. I was pretty excited when I saw the word Dachau on the sign.

Once you get to Dachau you have to take the 726 bus to the entrance. It cost one euro twenty. So like a dollar eighty.

The bus ride was fun...
Bob and Lindsey sat with me
Sarah and Alyssa were there too.
And I arrived. I don't really know my emotion at this point. Excited. Trying to not let the excitement ruin my ability to take in the information.
I didn't recognize what this was at first. It is a statue in reminding us to not forget about those who passed at Dachau.

This is the space where role call was made twice a day. Morning and night.
Thirty thousand people. Ridiculous.

I didn't really know about the different lodging at the camp.
Some prisoners lived in cells instead of traditional camp bunks.




Then, on the other side of the role call space were the camp bunks. There were like 34 trailers. Each held... a bunch of people.


These cutie dudes lived at Dachau.


There was a little shelf on the back. I wonder what kind of stuff people kept on the shelves. The rules of the camp were very meticulous about keeping things clean, so I wonder if people could even keep things in the room area.


Could people actually keep things in the lockers? There were definitely not enough locker s for everybody who would live in a room.



When the camp was rebuilt they only rebuilt two of the hosing tailors. Each tree stands in front of a trailer plot.
Heading to some of the history...


Roughly translated this means never forget the dead.




This I was VERY excited about. I had never seen sketches from this time period. It was pretty fantastic.




This was my favorite picture of the day. In a little corner. Away from the gray, there was a garden. Next to the Crematorium. Light and color.

No comments:

Post a Comment